Monday, December 7, 2015

Ode to ZoëBug: Four Today!


Usually I put together my kid's tributes by visiting their birth stories. And for me, Z's is a story of miracles and redemption all wrapped into one glorious package.

But I started penning this tribute to Z early Sunday morning...like-three-in-the-morning-can't-sleep early. It had been a crazy fun Saturday. We kicked off celebrating Z's birthday with a party for her and her school girlfriends at SoCupcake. Then we headed downtown for dinner, the lights and an overnight at Little America (because The Grand was more than double the price tag for one night and Z asked for "the chocolate fountain place" for her birthday dinner, which is Zoë-speak for 'brunch at the Grand.')

The night was pretty perfect... Meaning that nothing really went according to plan, but overall we had a great time -- a big part due to Bryan the Bike-Cab peddling our 400-plus pound family around town. 


He waited at the gates of Temple Square as we popped in for a quick peak at the nativity when it magically started right as we got there. I told Z she could nestle her way to the front, just ahead of the two adults in front of me... I bent down close to her ear and pointed out the Shepards, then stood up and watched for just a moment when I looked down and she was gone. 

I turned back expecting to find her by Danny -- she wasn't there. And then the panic hit me.


"I've lost Zoë," I tell him with a sense of urgency that bordered on frenzy. We split directions down the narrow walk-way. And the two minutes it took to find her were the longest of my life -- where your head starts talking crazy what-if's. 

Somehow she had just missed us in the crowd of adults in parkas, and wandered back towards where we had come from. 

I think that very real feeling of thinking even for a split-second I had lost her, is what is keeping me from settling into sleep this morning... So I figured I might as well start her annual update. 

So, in that light, this is for you Zoë. You're irreplaceable... 

To our Zoë-Bug: 

I like how when two people are lying down next to each other in bed, you'll nestle right on top of them -- push in and then say: "You're squishing me guys!"

In fact, you say a lot of hilarious things now that you're talking. 

Things you love:
Juice -- any kind. From crappy Capri Sun to fresh pressed carrot-apple-beet juice with ginger, you LOVE juice. 

Painting -- you'll paint on anything: paper, pumpkins, sea shells. We go through a lot of water colors. 


School -- I was a little apprehensive about how four full days of school would work out for a three year old. But you love it, and are thriving...the biggest problem is that they get you during your best parts of the day. Saturday night, as you were laying in bed happily singing the names of the continents, I knew we had you in the right place.... "and don't forget Oceania." 

You created a superhero alter-ego called "Pink Cake Girl." She saves the day, and "has to wear 'globves' because she has lava hands. It makes sense, last year for your third birthday I wrote about how you don't talk much but when you do, it's usually to say "Tastes like pink cake!

So "Pink Cake Girl" -- sometimes she has a crown and a purse.
Sometimes she wears a cape. 
Sometimes she wears black running shoes. 
Sometimes she's a villain.

But I think what I like most about PCG -- besides that you made her up, is how she's constantly adapting. 

Your favorite food is fruit. You once consumed a Costco sized container of blueberries in a single day. 

You like the idea of doughnuts more than actually consuming them. 


Sometimes when I ask you if you want help putting on your shoes, or clearing your plate you respond: "You do the honors." 

You want a younger sibling -- a baby. (Sorry, not happening). 

You've been sleeping in your own bed for a couple of years, but recently have decided you love "sleeping with Ho-den." And there are more nights than not that you still join us in the family bed, although usually it's closer to 6am for snuggles. 

You love cooking and baking and would eat pancakes daily if given the option. 

When you grow up you want to be a pumpkin. 

You have the coolest evil laugh I've ever heard from a child, and you've been doing it since you would laugh uncontrollably as a baby. 

You love to dance, but not in classes... more in our living room. 

You take after your Grandpa TOM and would "watch shows" for hours on end if given the option. But thankfully, you like being read to just as much. 


Playing on teams is not your thing right now...in fact, any sort of specific instructional classes outside of school (and your ice skating lessons) you're just not interested in. I think it's a combination of already getting dance, music, art and PE during the school week... and you're at Elizabeth Academy 28 hours a week as it is. So we'll cut you some slack for not wanting to kick a ball around with friends... you need more time for free-play. I get it.

I love hear you play-pretend. From cooking, to superheroes, doctor, mom in charge, astronaut or even when you pretend to work on a computer composing letters or taking important conference calls on your phone... the world is your oyster my dear.

You love washing things. I'll give you a spray bottle with some soap and a sponge and you're a girl on a mission. 



You're addicted to pink -- and that's ok. (Shhh, it was my favorite color when I was younger too).

This year, you finally stopped nursing... That's right, somewhere at 3
1/2 (ok 3.75?) you finally stopped trying to find mommies milk -- even though the store house had been dry for months. When you were born, I basically made a pact with God: help me nurse this baby and I'll let her self wean. So that was that. 

There's plenty more to add. But for now Zoë, please know we love how you spice up our family. Happy Birthday Pink Cake Girl -- indeed, you save the day! 






****PS.  I am having serious formatting issues on Blogger (does anyone even use this format anymore?) But life's too short for me to waste time figuring it out... I mean I already spent 5 minutes and that's more than I'd like to spend. :) 


No comments: