Friday, May 25, 2012

Pussy Willows or Getting Crafty Like Beastie Boys

Almost the size of the dino's femur... do dinosaurs have femurs? 

So I think it's fair to say that I am not crafty. Yes I love to cook & bake, garden and entertain, but those are entirely different than "crafting."

I don't really sew. I don't knit or crochet (I can hardly spell them). I'm terrible at quilting and I don't have the patience for cross-stictch. 

You will not find a glue-gun, pipe-cleaners or those awesome colored puff-balls that any basic/good craft room would have on hand. It's just not my thing. Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day; we all just decide how to use them. That said, crafting is not usually on our docket.


So today I decided to check out the Museum of Ancient Life with my kids this morning (one of my yoga students surprised our family with a season's pass this year - SCORE!). It was kind of overcast outside, and I figured we didn't really have anything specific to accomplish for the day. My house has stayed relatively clean this week, so I figured a great way to keep it straightened was to get the heck out of dodge. So I packed a lunch, got the kids dressed and we headed down south (Thanksgiving Point is in Utah County, but not really "of"Utah County.") 





Zoë is such a chill little babe, - she napped on the drive down and back, and spent most of the time in the Ergo while Holden wandered and discovered. (I learned how to discretely nurse her in public in the pack on our vacation to Orlando last month; so it's awesome to be able to attend to her hunger needs instantly ... hands free and walking around. ) 

Anyway, in a rare photo-op moment, I took her out of the pack and placed her beside this dino from the Jurassic period... yes, directly on the gross floor that everyone walks on. (I chalk it up to added immunity -- and she's obviously a second child because I would have NEVER done that with Holden at 5 months).  

Speaking of Holden, when we got home and Z went down for a real nap, we tried our hand at being crafty -- Disney's "Family Fun" magazine provided the idea, I drew the branches and Holden provided the fingertip print-puffs.  His creation framed below:

We're playing around with the title, but currently calling it:
 "An introspective on the injustice to Creation (i.e. "Nature")  resulting from negatives of the Industrial Complex & Capital Machine" 

...though we also liked "Pussy Willows." Here's our little Van Gough with both ears showing off his masterpiece. 
Mixed Media:
Colored pencil and Stamp Dad



Man, I should start a craft blog...or not. 

No comments: