Sunday, October 23, 2011

Goals - Schmoles


I am currently in "get everything done before the holidays come" mode; what with baby being due the week of Thanksgiving and all.

That said, I took a look at my goals for 2011 today and thought I might touch base on all the things I had accomplished; and more importantly, point out where I failed miserably and didn't even come close.

You may notice right off the bat that it's a pretty short list, void of real self improvement feats like "be nicer to husband," "read scriptures daily" or "be a better mom." I was trying to be realistic.

Here's the list:

2011 To-Do's
  • make cheese
  • get a real blog & website
  • make/have a baby
  • do full splits
  • dry tomatoes
  • plant potatoes & corn
  • make yoga video
  • do photo shoot w/ Sassa
  • children's book
OK, now here's the breakdown and reflections on the list (in italics).

2011 To-Do's - The first thing that comes to mind is that I didn't actually call these goals. This is just a task-list per se... much like the ones I make each day that say things like "laundry" or "buy distilled vinegar"... Somehow this makes me feel like somewhat less of a failure.
  • make cheese I still want to do this. It's already happened on a few occasions but mostly in the form of finding a mostly empty sippy cup of Holden's underneath a bed...smells just like cottage cheese. Let's keep this one on the list for next year...
  • get a real blog & website As you can see, I'm still not the 'real deal.' However, I am pretty stoked about the fact that I got picked up by Make & Takes to do a guest blog once a month... that blog is totally legit, and I even get a little compensation for it. So it's a start...but we'll keep this one on the list for next year too...
  • make/have a baby Part one of this can definitely be checked off the list -- and with your positive thoughts and prayers, and a little bit of cooperation from my body, Part two should be fully realized next month. Happy Birthing! Check it off the list!
  • do full splits Keep it on the list... although depending on how childbirth goes, this too could be a accomplished before year's end. (I'm just sayin'.)
  • dry tomatoes No No No... this did not happen, and I don;t see it happening. But I have managed to bottle/can approximately 70-plus pounds of tomatoes into spaghetti sauce, relish and sweet and sour sauce for the coming year. I'm kind of done with the the tomato thing
  • plant potatoes & corn The potatoes happened, and they've been harvested (I may have mentioned this before, but Holden referred to it as "digging for dinosaur bones.") The corn will have to wait until next year...or beyond.
  • make yoga video I thought I had this awesome idea about making a video and giving it away when people asked me for a 'good basic yoga video." Not that there aren't a million DVDs out there; but I don't really 'do' any of those. And I thought it would be fun to have friends and family participate in the making... obviously it didn't happen either since I've spent most of the year pregnant; but my somewhat-monthly appearances on FOX seem to be a nice trade-off. Still waiting for them to post the pregnancy one from earlier this month... (heavy sigh).
  • do photo shoot w/ Sassa This was a goal to get pictures like the Hard Tail ads with my older sister for my "real website"... but again, the whole pregnancy thing kind of changed the plan... and I've already got plenty of pics of me in yoga poses with a belly (both pregnant and just chubby).
  • children's book I had this idea for a children's book, which I somehow forgot. Danny keeps asking me to write chick-lit.... as if anyone would really be interested in read that.
So to recap - I didn't really accomplish much this year... well except for grow a person -- and that would've been impossible without Danny. Come to think of it, most of my greatest accomplishments have to do with him, or his help. Guess it hasn't been such a bad year after all.


**Oh and incase you're wondering what that picture has to do with this post, it doesn't. I just thought it was a good idea to include some Holden cuteness...**

No comments: