Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Edible Panties!

I'll start off this post by stating the obvious: this is not a post about potty training (though I guess I could mention we are ever so close to "graduation but still not 100% diaper free), nor is it an announcement that we have in fact started using THESE that came so highly recommended by so many of you when you found out we were cloth diapering part-time.

But it is to say that Holden has experienced (yet) another first. We took him to the Blue Botique last night! Here he is carefully surveying the 'BAD GUY' section of costumes:
Now before you get too judgmental on me, the purchase was not for my own personal collection (*Besides, I really try to steer clear of buying pasties/sex-toys when I'm pregnant, just as a general rule). But we needed to pick up gifts for a cousin's Wedding Shower (i.e. who would be responsible for the shock factor if not Mr. Suite-Mangum and yours truly?), and although Harmon's is great for buying local, their sensual oil and edible thong collection just wasn't what I was hoping for.

So in our list of things to do, item number 3 on the FHE errand list: Sex-Shop with Toddler.

I knew we were in for fun when we pulled up to the storefront and Holden pointed to the mannequins in the window with their lingerie and wings and said "Butterfly." Ahhh the innocence of youth.

As you can see from the following picture, I'm raising a concerned shopper:
Holden fell in love with a cake-topper that had a bride pulling her groom on the ground by the tie. "I play with this?" He kept asking. And at one point, he also tried to duck under the doors that marked off the special "ADULTS ONLY" section of there store where the merchandise is even more...scandalous, shall we say? Such an explorer, my little guy.

But needless to say, the mainstream section was titillating enough for all of us.

And yes, I recognize this is not a store for children - but I really wanted Danny to help me pick something out (he is after all, the funny one in the relationship...and it's for his side of the family, so his filter is always a little better than mine).

Thanks to a very knowledgable saleswoman who took us right to the section we needed for an easy purchase (his and hers gifts -- you can use your imagination on this one); and we were in and out of the store in about 15 minutes.

My favorite part of the adventure was when one pink haired and very pierced sales clerk turned around towards Holden, and her appearance took him aback for a moment. He shook his fists near his belly like he does when he's cold or to signal he's a little scared. I'm just glad he didn't shout "BAD GUY" before we left.

It's become more apparent every day that I'm out of the running for any "Mother of the year Awards." (Especially when I share these antics with the world?!?!?) But I will say we are having fun.

Ahhh parenting - never what you expect, is it?

1 comment:

WIKKY said...

Freaking hilarious. I guess there is a first for everyone! If Ethan were in there, the word "booboos" would be tossed around quite a bit!
Glad you had fun finding something fun!
And.. the only thing he will remember is what mask he wanted from the bad guy section!!!