Tuesday, November 9, 2010

30 Days of Thanksgiving:Nine

New experiences. That's what I'm thankful for...

Yesterday was my debut at Kalari (martial arts yoga). Just call me Ralph Macchio.
I am already sore (and feeling GREAT about it!). The teacher (Andrejas), who had a delightful accent --from I don't know where-- suggested I rub sesame oil all over my body before a warm bath Monday night. I did as he recommended. If it works as well as Advil, I'm game. Only time will tell.

I did, however, spend most of Monday night smelling like toasted sesame.

Also it was the first "yoga" class I had ever been to where the men outnumbered the women three to one. And I would've been the lone Y chromosome, except I begged my guru to come join us. So the count? Six dudes and two goddesses (of course, I felt a whole lot more 'goddess-like' before I smelled of Asian Chicken Salad. I think you can order me on the Applebee's 2 for 20 menu?)

But back to the Kalari.

I'd try to explain it...but I'm at a loss for words. The best I can do is say it's raw, erotic precision with a lot of "grrrrr" and grace.

I have a lot to learn, and so far to go...but I'm grateful for Monday night's class and saying "Cheers to New Experiences." Weird smells and all... and I'll take Sesame oil over Bikram's sweaty carpet any day!

No comments: