Friday, June 25, 2010

"If I lived here, I would be in the best shape!"

So I'm down in St. George, again. I spent the first week of June here, took a week off and then headed back down south. (Sometimes I feel like every other week of my life I'm on vacation... and then I realize it's pretty much true. But I'm a Mom, and Holden is always en tote: so -- like Claire from Modern Family would say -- it's more like a "business trip.")

We're in town this week for the Utah Summer Games - Volleyball. I've been getting some nice runs in, and we've been boating almost every day.

A couple of weekends ago, Danny and I were doing our long runs (just over 7 miles each) in this brilliant little patch of God's Country. I was running down Snow Canyon, looking at the bright orange red rock juxtaposed with a perfect blue sky thinking "If I lived here, I would be in the BEST shape!"

Funny how the same mindset occurred to me when I was jogging on the beachfront sidewalks of Maui barefoot.... convinced I would be in the best shape if I were an island dweller.

So I'm thinking about how blessed the people that live in St. George are, wondering how anyone could be overweight or lead a sedentary lifestyle here, when it dawned on me that I did in fact live here for more than 5 years, and I was super fat... and flabby... pretty much in the worst shape of my life for a nice chunk of that time.

So it just goes to show you that when it comes to lifestyle changes, unlike realestate it's not all about location, location, location.

1 comment:

Meesh said...

Yeah I agree, being thin is not a location, it is a mindset! I just need to adapt to it a little better. Good for you and all your running! I am so proud of you. We should do a run together soon. I am better at running than yoga!