Friday, April 16, 2010

He speaks for the trees!

With Earth Day fast approaching (HUZZAH!), I thought I might share a little Mangum tradition that takes place every year on April 22nd. Well actually, we just started this tradition last year, but it's such a good one, it's as if we've been doing it for ages...

So what is this magical annual tradition, you wonder?

We read this:
"I'm the Lorax who speaks for the trees
which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please."
From The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss


Why The Lorax you say?
Because it's eco-conscious in so many ways!
From the trees and birds and fish in the water,
it's 'GREEN awareness' for mothers and their daughters.
But the tale's also a warning for dads and for sons,
For it helps us understand the value of one.

From the Library you can find this delightful book,
Check it out, read it over, give it a look.
You may be surprised how delightful it can be,
To learn from the Lorax about planet responsibility!

Ummmm, yeah...that was my best attempt at Seussical prose.

But seriously, I love this book. We did in fact check it out of the Library (a very green thing to do as well), and we've already read it (I couldn't wait until Earth Day, the book is too powerful!) And we'll continue to read it.

You don't have to get all caught up in the battle of industrialized society verses the plight of the Environmental movement.... yada yada yada. You really can just enjoy it on it's simplest and purest level (though the symbolism is pretty hard miss.)

In the interest of full disclosure, I am not afraid to admit I cry almost every time I read the book's warning. (I also have been known to shed a few tears when I read Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are," but for different reasons.)

So snag a copy for yourself and your loved ones, and then go hug a tree (better yet, plant one.)

And for continued fun & games (literally), check out the Lorax's Website at Seussville.com.

No comments: