Saturday, January 30, 2010

FAT TUESDAY FEBRUARY - You Can Help!

With ditching the pump fast on the horizon, I am hoping the last of this weight will come off. My pediatrician said some women hold on to the last of the 'baby weight' until they're done nursing...so I am hoping that is the case for me, and it won't be too much of a challenge with exercise and a change in diet (notice how I didn't say "going on a diet.")

I'd like to loose about 10 lbs...ok, I'd like to loose 30 lbs, have a 24 inch waist and moonlight as a fitness model, but I'm trying to be realistic...10 pounds seems reasonable right?

This did not seem real accessible during the great lactation period of '09 because my production seemed inexorably connected to the amount of water I was drinking/loosing; and how many cupcakes I was eating (ok, just what I was eating overall... but cupcakes really seemed to put the mammary glands into overdrive! And in other news...when was the last time you read a non-medical blog that use the word mammary?!?!)

Mmmmmmm, 25 Main...




Losing 10 lbs puts me a few pounds over my marriage weight. I was 143 on our wedding day.

And I know that sounds like a lot for someone who is barely over 5'5", but to me it was a comfortable Banana Republic size six... So that's what we're working towards - not to mention my SIL is getting married on the beach in Hawaii in about 6 weeks and I don't want anyone yelling "HARPOON IT" because of my back fat.

So here is what I propose blogosphere -- are you out there? Anyone listening???

Rules for the February Experiment
  • Every Tues I am posting my weight as stated on the Mangum family scale in our horribly outdated tan-tile bathroom (get it? Fat Tues? I am so clever.)
  • Every day, whether I write a 'real' blog or not, I am going to document what I ate for the day (thus one of the reasons I have been blogging more consistently lately. I'm trying to get in the habit for Feb.) Publicly 'journaling' my eats will hopefully serve two purposes #1-keep me from eating crap because I'll be too embarrassed to tell you what a heifer I am and #2 - help me understand what is actually going into this body of mine
  • Weekdays I will post if I worked out or not...I'm giving myself the weekends off, but I think a reasonable goal is 30 minutes of exercise 3 - 4 times a week.
  • I am going to practice satya.. or as one says in yoga 'truthfulness'. Meaning I really am going to tell you when I'm a slacker....and I will be embarassed about it, and you can be embarrassed for me.
What a ridiculous and horrible experiment. But it just may work.

We are also trying to adopt Michael Pollan's guidelines from "In Defense of Food;" I'm reading Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" and it feels like the perfect time to really dive in.

Goodbye High Fructose Corn Syrup, Processed Food and Food-like products... hello new me (coming in approximately 4 weeks).

Just so you know, I plan on eating cupcakes at Holden's birthday party (Monday)... and chocolate cookies at Danny's (the entire weekend, but it's actually the 5th).

We're getting off to a great start!



The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Michael Pollan
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorEconomy

6 comments:

mrs. farlanderz said...

#1 - woohoo girl, go for it!
#2 - I like that you say change in diet instead of go on a diet. we all know that is the key to actually being healthy and losing weight. {it's just so hard eh...}
#3 - In Defense of Food is such a great book. We have changed a lot of our eating habits because of it {and still have a LONG way to go, but one step at a time I say}
#4 - re Choco Chip Cookies - did you know you can substitute ground flax seed for butter in a lot of baked treats? I never do ALL(usually 1/2 orig amount of butter 1/2 flax) it changed the consistancy a little but overall not bad at all! (and that is not a tip from someone who calls celery a snack or a salad a meal fyi). Although this does nothing to the sugar it somehow makes me feel better about eating them...
#5 - re my facebook message - kings has been on a roll! by they way do you put holden on his potty right when he wakes up or after he eats or both?
#6 - I love colbert.

Melanie said...

I think I'll go for the corn syrup thing too. Good idea. I was thinking completely off Chocolate...but that is not rational at all! If you want some REAL food ideas or healthy food idea's I started a blog feedmehealthy.blogspot.com NO temptations!!

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

H-#5 absolutely! And it's amazing how quick they catch on once you give them the chance, eh? I'll send you the list of 'pottytunities' via fb. Sometimes we have to put him on 'during' meals.

Mel-
I will have to check it out. And I don;t think I'll give up chocolate (seems too restrictive). Sometimes just a few all natural choc chips can do the trick that an entire chocolate ckae would've done otherwise. ;) I will for sure check out your website (obviously part of the plan is to cook more).

Cicely said...

I can't wait!

katie said...

we are definitely on board with brother pollan. i speak for myself and the kiddies...tyler loves him some good old fashioned processed food.

i am not a believer in substituting healthy ingredients in baked goods. "i'm actually doing my body a favor by eating these cookies! i put applesauce/flax/wheat flour in them!" makes it too easy for me to consume the entire contents of the cookie jar in one sitting.

i know you are a yogi, but sometimes it's super hard to get out of the house to get a workout in with little ones. i don't know if you're into workout dvds, but the library has a wide selection (yoga, pilates, cardio, circuit training etc...i just checked out the nyc ballet workout). you can workout in the comfort of your own home whenever you want. and you only have to pause to make sure your children are still conscious ("look mom, I'M a bunk bed"--eliza lying on top of oliver, oliver struggling for breath).

wow. long comment.

Shauntel said...

(As Katie mentioned), I know you're a yogi, and I know this is sooooo trendy, but Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred DVD KICKS MY BUM. And I'm only on Level One.

And it's only 20 minutes a day.

And I can do it while Annabelle plays (she thinks my jumping up and down is a really funny game).

And did I mention it totally kicks my bum?