Friday, January 30, 2009

Things to do While waiting for baby

As I write this, the clock just struck 5 am on Friday morning. I’ve been on the web looking at Angie’s List for “mold removal” and “construction.” With Holden, holdin’-on so to speak, Danny and I got in a little over our heads. (Reminder: We’re headed to the hospital, midwife’s orders, on Saturday night to try and get the process started…induction begins Sunday morning). Please keep us all in your prayers.

So we tried the trio pizza, s.e.x., raspberry leaf tea, walking, jogging, yoga, accupressure and some serious pleas and prayers for divine intervention... who knows if it's done anything; so we're taking a different route (so to speak).

My dishwasher came (huzzah! It's a Bosch and FABULOUS!), and instead of just verifying that the guy could install it with out pulling up 2 layers of subfloor and linoleum… we decided to move ahead with a little mini-renovation. Yes, we STARTED the project 2 days AFTER baby’s scheduled due date. We told the guys helping us out that we’d give them a bonus as long as the project was complete before Holden got here. I think the kitchen (the mini-upgrades we asked for) will be easily finished by Saturday night… the bathroom just off the kitchen is a completely different story.

We pulled up the top layer of flooring to extend the same flooring from the kitchen and the sub-floor particle board looked more like sawdust underneath than wood. Not to mention, it totally smelled like my late Great Aunt Veeda’s house in Filmore (rest her soul,) and I don’t mean burnt toast and raspberry jam.

So obviously I’m convinced we have a mold problem… but I’m not sure if it’s the deadly toxic kind or otherwise. Seems a bit ridiculous that we buy the nonVOC paint that’s practically fume-less for the walls and now I may have exposed some deadly allergens into our home.

So first things first –
  • We totally quarantined the area (well, as best we could). I’m pretending that part of our house just doesn’t exist.
  • I’m getting someone to come test and remove the crap that’s left over …the initial demo work the guys (and my sister) did got rid of most of it…but I just need to know the space is safe even if it's not useable.
  • And someday, we’ll get our bathroom remodeled… but I have no idea when we’ll have the funds or the environment to do that. (I don’t really want banging and sheetrock and all that junk around when we bring Holden home, obviously.)
(Speaking of... anyone know of a decent cost-competitive contractor looking for work? I've got a bathroom they may be interested in...)

The good news is, this whole ordeal has done a stand-up job deterring my mind from the whole “why hasn’t my baby come yet? And am I broken because I won’t dilate” issue.

I told Danny there's an eerie resemblance between "waiting for him" and "waiting for our son."
The dialogue (waiting for my soul-mate vs. waiting for my son) goes something like this:
  • Why am I still single/pregnant?
  • What's wrong with me?
  • I'm excited to meet my soulmate/son. . .
  • Why is it taking so long?
  • It must be me. I'm broken...
  • I'm not broken, I just need to keep an eternal perspective
  • Remember patience is a virtue.
  • I wonder what he'll be like
  • I should exercise.

Hopefully the next update will be a birthing announcement, eh?

And Wikky, you are right... someday I will look back at all of this and laugh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping:

1. Holden comes on his own VERY soon.
2. The food at the hospital is good if he doesn't.

Emily S. Pohlsander

naptime nostalgia said...

Um, well, I wanted to be all positive about this and tell you that this little lesson in patience is a good one, because chica if I can tell you one thing about mothering it's that patience is the MOST important thing. For example, when you child digs both hands into a bottle of butt paste (desitin) and decides to use it like finger paint all over you wall. Did you know this stuff is water-proof. Really, it is. Try cleaning up a disaster of a child and his wall without water. It was way fun. And tested my patience greatly. It was pretty much all I could do not to throw him out the window. Yes, my dear, boys are fun.

Then I thought I should tell you all the wonderful things about NOT going into labor in public. Like when your water breaks and it feels like you peed your pants, except like 10 times worse (did I tell you with both I had polyhydroamniosis--just a nice way of saying a whole shit-load of water). So when it broke, it was so much that I actually had to walk around in public with someones borrowed baby diaper under my hooha, cause I was leaving a trail of water behind me. Not to mention my pants were completely soaked. (When Dr. W did my c-section for Thing 2 he started yelling cause I had so much water in me that it spilled out and onto his leather shoes and plum runied them. He was swearing up a storm. And I loved it.) And when i called to tell Hubs about my water breaking, of course the only thing he could think to say was, "Be sure you don't ruin the leather seats in the car. Put a towel down." Um, yeah, thanks I'm just going into labor WITH YOUR CHILD! STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE FRICKIN LEATHER SEATS!!! What a man.

So yeah. Things could be worse. I know it doesn't seem like it. Just hang in there. Before you know it, he will be here, having poop blowouts, keeping you up all night, and giving you the sweetest baby fart smiles you've ever seen.

Bree said...

I love it Suite! There's nothing like waiting for something that you thought should have happened two weeks ago-it's worse when it's a baby! I'm thinking about you and sending you all the positive energy I've got!

p.s. matt probably has some "guys" to do your bathroom

Alicia said...

Sabrina, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Holden will be like Brady and decide to come the night before he will be forced to come. I remember that I couldn't sleep at all that night (I was nervous) and I was the most uncomfortable I had been the entire pregnancy. In fact, I would say that was my only truly miserable day. I decided to watch t.v. and around 3:00 a.m. the pain went away (I had just been feeling lots of pressure, not really contractions.). I was so happy that it went away I got up to go to bed but then, 5 minutes later, the pain came back. Then 5 minutes later, it came back again. It took me another hour and a bath before I woke up Mikey to tell him it was "time". I'm not sure if Mikey mentioned that after the epidural they turned on the pitocin but I couldn't tell a difference at all. I guess they just wanted me to progress a little faster. Anyway, way to go on remodeling! Think how nice it will be to have a new dishwasher and new baby :). Yeah! Holden will be worth the wait :). L & D is the best part.

Meesh said...

I am sending my thoughts your way! We both need some good karma with getting our boys here. I am due a week from Sunday! I have a feeling Valentines will be more like it though. Good luck and visualize things opening and maybe the cervix will follow. ha ha.

Mrs. Two Cents said...

Wishing good thoughts your way! Hang in there.

Merilee