Sunday, August 31, 2008

IRONMAN: The Flip Flopper, and what's wrong with that?

Oh my pretties, what a great weekend:

I’m pretty sure I felt Holden (although, it could be gas… you never really know, eh?)
I’m 5-days away from my ½ way mark of this pregnancy.
I’m still riding high of the DNC, and the Utes victory over Michigan.

I’ve got a lot to be excited about. But I’d like to take a different approach for this post and move into “movie reviews” of sorts instead. ;)

So IronMan… seen it? Pretty much everyone has but me. Besides the catchy theme song made popular by Ozzie, there wasn’t a lot that got me excited about seeing this flick -- which probably explains why I hadn’t seen it until last night at the dollar (fifty) theater. We’re spending the Holiday at George’s House (St. George) and my father likes to keep a 1:1 (minimum) stat as far as the ratio of movies to days we’re here. But I have to say, the critics were right. It’s surprising and worth and watch – even if you’re not a sci-fi, comic book, or explosion type of person when it comes to your favourites in cinema.

So here’s how I see it… and I think there’s a philosophical lesson that can be drawn between this movie and the political climate of our day:

Tony Stark (played by Robert Downey Jr) makes WMD’s* for a living. His father helped create the atom bomb, and he’s made big money creating weapons that are responsible for taking millions of lives across the globe. So when he discovers (shock me, shock me!) that his weapons are not ONLY used by “the good guys” (yes, the Americans)… but have fallen into the hands of evil doers in the Middle East, Stark decides he needs to change his ways, change his company, and stop making things that only destroy.

With this (and breaking out of the clutches of the evil doers) he comes to create the ultimate weapon to help save humanity – himself as a superhero – and the storyline continues.

So what can we draw from the “changed heart” and example of Tony Stark – my new favourite superhero? I say, when you’re involved in something, and its morality is going south…(and regardless of if that is a movement, a group of friends, a career, or an war in which thousands of lives are being lost) … when you realize that what you’re involved in is the equivalent of moral and ethical suicide, there’s no shame in changing the course. I actually believe that CHANGE is the moral high ground in cases like this.

Last election, Republicans BLASTED Democrats who originally voted for the war, and then after seeing it for what it really is, and the Dems said “We need to get out! Turn the ship, turn the ship!” They were labeled as “flip-floppers.” First of all, what a stupid phrase.

But seriously, when in this country did we decide that it’s so wrong to see the error of your ways and make a change for the better? When did repentance become such a negative thing?

Thankfully, my candidate for presidency opposed the war from the beginning (Go Barack! Huzah for change!) But you’ve got another candidate, who this week will try to distance himself from the president and current administration by saying he’s a maverick… that’s he’s different from Bush (even though he’s voted with his policies more than 90% of the time). Come on McCain, I’d give you permission to be a flip-flopper on the war in Iraq, but you have to see the error of your ways first. (Though, this doesn’t mean I’d vote for you. McCain and I probably disagree on the issues 95% of the time.) ;)

In the meantime, my choice for president is easy. I’m voting for someone who believes that America deserves more, that basic health care is right and not a luxury, who’s economic plan is to give tax relief to 95% of Americans (yes, he’s going to tax the rich, novel idea) and help the middle class get back on it’s feet, who is vocal about his love of God, family and family values, who understands the world has always been “more impressed with the power of our example, than the example of our power,” who opposed the war from the beginning and wanted our focus to be on Bin Laden from the start, and who strongly believes that we have responsibility to take care of those less fortunate than ourselves (you know that principle, it’s the one that’s taught in Sunday Schools across the country.)

Yeah, this election, I’m not stuck voting for “the lesser of two evils.” I’m thrilled to be voting for Barack. Cheers to realizing that the world can be a better place (whether our heroes are dressed in titanium suits or pounding the pavement for change.)

*Weapons of Mass Destruction: What we went to war with Iraq over. Remember, our President pitched to us that the war in Iraq about WMDs and the threat that Sadam posed. (When no WMDs were found, it suddenly changed to an issue of civil rights injustices… but really it was about finishing his daddy’s vendetta in the middle east). George took military force that could’ve been used to hunt down Osama Bin Laden and put us in a war that, like Vietnam, HAS NO END in sight with the policies of the current administration (and presumptive Republican nominee McCain)…And this war would conitnue to have no end in sight if this country makes it second biggest mistake in foreign policy in the last 8 years and elects McCain – because his platform is to continue the course!!! The first biggest blunder being electing George Dub-ya.

5 comments:

Cicely said...

I almost stated crying.

ps. I miss you.

Shauntel said...

Speaking of flipper floppers...

So remember when we sent out an internal memo (hdq2u baby) stating that flip flops were no longer allowed as a part of professional work attire? And then some yahoo in maintenance called because she was wondering what exactly was defined as a flip flop as she was pretty sure her wardrobe was going out before her eyes? And then Necia gets on the phone and says, "You know, it's a shoe that...like...well, it flips. And then it flops."

Ah, the good ol' days. ;)

Allison said...

Amen sista

Allison said...

Excellent movie review. Iron Man was one of my favorite movies from this summer. I can't wait for the sequel.

I also enjoyed your thoughts on flip flopping. On the other hand, after going through a primary season with Mitt Romney, I can definitely understand why the Repubs enjoyed using that phrase so much. I loved being able to label Mitt as a flip flopper. I would never say that Mitt took the moral high ground on those 4 or 5 major issues (guns, abortion, stem cells, etc.) that would increase his appeal among the conservative base. I would say that he is a gutless pandering moron who is willing to say or do anything he needs to win an election.

gObama!!!

Spencer Davis said...

Stupid blogger. That last comment was from I, Darth Spencer, Dark Lord of the Sith, not my female.