Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day Three: 3PD

Well, it's day three and we leave Colorado tomorrow (see "Three Perfect Days" post below).  

We had such a fabulous day... slept in late (again), and awoke to a literal winter wonderland outside our window. 

It had snowed like three inches... which in SLC would've made me sad because the weather's been so psychotic, but it was bloody brilliant to see this place all covered in white frosting... I think it's how one ought to experience Vail; especially if you're not hitting the slopes.

We decided to get a jump on the day, so we made our way to Glenwood Springs.  It's just an hour outside of Vail, on a totally picturesque journey through Glenwood Canyon. We were hungry by the time we puled into town and I was craving french toast (partially because I know it's back to no-white-bread when I return to real life.)  There was a Village Inn... but I'm so thankful to be married to a man who will opt for the non-chain restaurant adventure. So we tried the local's joint "the little bavarian."  It was pretty authentic... especially with Huevos Rancheros on the menu.  ;)  

The food was alright-- the adventure was better. And the hostess was total eye-candy... I think Danny enjoyed that (although it seems I check out a lot more women than he does...)

We took a little tour of the Hotel Colorado -- where the Teddy Bear was invented while Theodore Roosevelt was staying there... and a bunch of Chicago gangsters spent time. And then spent an hour in the springs ... There's a lot more tattoos per capita in Colorado than I had ever expected... 

We made our way back to Vail, FINALLY found the Lodge at Vail and walked back through Vail Village ... it reminds me of the ski village in Zermatt... or maybe it was Chamonix. Anyway, it totally reminded me of those darling ski villages we visited last year (I can't believe it's almost been a year since our European Vacation!) 

After a little rest from our busy day, I took a much-needed nap and then we played another round of Racquetball. Danny took the first set 2-1, I killed him two games to zero in the next set and then he beat me 2-0 in the last set.  (Not that you care about how crappy we are at the game -- we don't even know the real rules.)

I will mention that I did find one more sport that I KILL danny in... wii Bowling! (Which is not really a sport... but I totally killed him last night in the game room.) And anyone that knows me that I don't really do board games, card games or video games... so it was pretty surprising that I took so quickly to the sport.  I bowled a 196 and a 199 last night... which is about 120 pins more per game than I bowl in reality. 

We finished the evening with Chinese takeout from the locals favorite in the valley -- May Palace. We ordered way too much food... which is pretty standard for ordering chinese food, eh?   

Man, I just looked at the time... sux that we have to get up tomorrow and head back to reality; but it has to come sometime.

I know the post before was really long --and maybe you don't need a play-by-play of our va-cay; but I left my journal in SLC, and so I'm thinking Danny and I will actually really appreciate having these memories jotted down. 

We really love one another, but it's been AMAZING to me to spend all of this time together and remember just how well we get along when it's the two of us... so here's my plug for all my married friends out there (especially those of you with kids that NEVER find time for yourselves,) take some time to reconnect.  Danny and I haven't even been married 2 years, but I can already see how important it is to step back and take time to just be... and more importantly, be together. 

Namaste
Suite

PS.  That Kelly Liken restaurant we ate at the first night... well apparently even the New York Times has done a bit on it.  It's supposed to be way famous.... 
    

3 comments:

Meesh said...

Sabrena,
You are a riot. It is fun to do the blog thing and catch up with old friends. It sounds like you and Danny are doing awesome so congrats. You can check out my blog now but it is new and a little lame still. I wish I had more time to write. Take care.

Michelle B.

dynamike said...

Mike and I did a similar trip last year for our second year anniversary- LOVE LOVE COlorado and especially Glenwood Springs. What a cool little place eh? So glad you have such an amazing time. We adore you guys. Be in touch!

WIKKY said...

Congrats on being alone. Everyone needs that. So.. can you take my kids while Craig and I go on an adventure??? Just kidding. Glad you are having so much fun.